Aegean Hawks F.C.

May 8th, 2005: Hawks 5 Reds United FC - 1
A beautiful and sunny Mother's Day afternoon at the Soccerplex found the Hawks matched up vs. WPL rival, Reds United. The Hawks were looking to avenge last season's 4-0 drubbing at the hands of Reds and get back in the win column of the WPL after two consecutive losses. Reds had started the season poorly with two consecutive losses, but had rebounded well with consecutive victories and better form. Reds had played a day earlier, beating Rangers FC - the first place WPL team at the outset of the weekend - and the Hawks knew they were in for a competitive battle. In a game that saw the Hawks grow ever-increasing momentum, the Hawks were able to step up and earn a convincing 5-1 victory over their opponents.

To the game - the Hawks started slowly but were able to mount increasing pressure after the first ten minutes and take control of the midfield. However, it was the Reds who struck first by capitalizing on a long ball that was coughed up by Hawks keeper Anthony Peters who rose high to grab the ball, but lost possession after being clipped in mid-air and landing on his back. The Reds were able to tap in for the 1-0 advantage. Instead of hanging their heads, the Hawks played some brlliant soccer, epitomized by striker Jono Drysdale's creative spark off the bench, and found the equalizer only minutes after the Reds score. A nice left sided cross from flanker Kevin Koitz was controlled on the far side of the box by center midfielder Mike Golman, who was able to slide the through ball to a streaking Jono Drysdale who met the ball just before the Reds keeper for the equalizer. Game tied up at 1-1 at the 32 minute mark. Five minutes later, Jono's presence was felt again as he was able to draw defenders to him at the top of the box before passing to colleague Craig Cochran, who pushed the ball to one side of his defender and sent a curling, driven, left-footed shot passed the outstretched arms of the Reds keeper and into the upper 90. Hawks up 2-1 at 39 minutes in and that's how it stayed until halftime.

The second half began and the Hawks picked up where they had left off. Possession and creativity in the midfield was ours on the day. The third goal came in fantastic fashion off a Kevin Koitz corner kick into the heart of the Reds defense. The driven ball was skim-headed away by a Reds defender, only to settle on the onrushing foot of outside back Jon Knight for a textbook one-time volley finish that dipped into the far upper 90 from 18 yards out at the 55 minute mark. It was a great finish, but the Hawks were not done. Alan Golden split two defenders in the 65th and slotted the ball to a wide open Justin Bodiya who slapped a well-struck finish into the Reds net from 14 yards away. The best was saved for last as Alan Golden finished a sweet sequence of passing by running onto Geoff Thompson's assist to smash a laser with ridiculous velocity into the near post upper 90 from 20 yards out. Hawks up 5-1 in the 75th and that's how the game ended. Great response from the guys to last Saturday's disappointing result vs. Glover Park, particularly in the absence of the key squad standouts Todd Leber, Doug Henry, Mike Williams, Will Phouminh, Matt Carroll, and Irving williams. The Hawks next face WPL newcomers St. Ides in one week (May 15th) in a 5 PM game at Soccerplex Field #8.


News/Match Report Archives


Jono Drysdale - 32'
Craig Cochran - 39'
Jonathan Knight - 55'
Justin Bodiya - 65'
Alan Golden - 75'

Mike Goldman - 32'
Jono Drysdale - 39'
Kevin Koitz - 55'
Alan Golden - 65'
Geoff Thompson - 75'

Anthony Peters - 3

Jono Drysdale - ST

Honorable Mention
Alan Golden - CM




© 2003 Aegean Hawks F.C. | e-mail: Design: